lundi 4 juillet 2016

No Vex / Ma binu

"ma binu" used by the typical Yoruba person means "no vex" in pidgin. No vex is also typically used by the average Nigerian. These two words or their variations in other Nigerian languages employed when you offend somebody and want to appease them. A colleague recently used it on me and I was angry that she used it so I lambasted her... somewhat.


Ma binu is Yoruba for "do not be angry" or "don't get angry", I am pretty sure there is a variation for this phrase in every other Nigerian language.


What is my beef with this it is NOT an apology. I look at it as an arrogant phrase. If you offend somebody, your proper response should be: 1. I am sorry 2. Forgive me 3. It wont happen again.
Depending on the severity of the offence, all those three might not be necessary. No vex and Ma binu is not only inadequate, it is condescending.


In my opinion.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire